Fun, Foolproof Ways to Slip Fitness into Your Child's Everyday Life
I checked this book out from the local library and I have loved reading through it! It is filled with great ideas to help us get our children physically active and to start getting them to eat more nutritious foods. You should definitely check to see if your library has it. If they don't, then you can make a request for them to purchase it and it'll take a week or so for them to get it in. It's also available in stores to purchase for about $14.00.
Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years. At the moment nearly 20% of the children in the USA are officially obese, which translates to 2 out of 10 children. In total, over 25 million children are suffering from obesity in the USA. These children are at higher risk for heart disease, type-2 diabetes, asthma and sleep apnea, as well as low self-esteem.
8 Fundamental Reasons Why:
- Kids today are living a far more sedentary lifestyle than before.
- Public schools are facing huge budget cuts. (Affecting athletic departments & therefore eliminating sport teams.)
- Kids eat more fast-food meals.
- Our children are eating fewer fresh fruits & vegetables.
- Processed foods are easy-but contain hidden health saboteurs. (High-fructose corn syrup, MSG, hydrogenated oils, etc.....)
- Children & teens are drinking more of their daily calories. (Sodas, sugary juices, coffee-based drinks)
- Technology makes our lives easier, but it also makes us lazier.
- Food portions are bigger than ever.
Benefits of Exercise:
- More energy
- Fewer sick days
- Improved mood
- Better self-esteem
- Increased brain power
- Consistent weight control
- Stronger muscles & bones
- Better sleep
- Reduced risk of diabetes & cardiovascular disease
6 Tricks to Help You & Your Child:
- Limit screen time. Limit the time your child T.V. & computer time to 1-2 hours a day. Fill the rest of their time with activities.
- Make sure their getting their zzzz's. A good night's sleep makes their day & your day easier.
- Make it fun. If it seems like a chore to exercise, it will be.
- Drop some hints. During your activities together, make your child feel great about what their doing. ("Your such a good balancer!")
- Have them dress the part. Be sure they have on appropriate footwear & clothing for the specific activity to avoid injury.
- Keep their stuff in good shape. Nothing deflates their enthusiasm like finding a flat tire on their bike as their headed out for a ride.
Sneaky Fitness will help you Cure Your Little Couch Potato! This book includes 100 games & exercises to get them up & moving. It also includes staples for you to keep in your kitchen from which you can make tons of healthy recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks.
Let's put the game plan in action & help our children become healthy, active & vibrant.